The Poquonnock Bridge Fire District was created at a Special Meeting of the Town of Groton held on June 30, 1943. The Fire District was established as a municipal corporation for the purpose of extinguishing fires pursuant to the statutory provisions of that time. The Fire District boundaries were established and District officers were elected at this meeting. On May 14, 2003, Poquonnock Bridge Fire District voters authorized an ordinance to reorganize and be governed by the provisions of Sections 7-324 to 7-329 inclusive, of the Connecticut General Statutes.
In the years since its creation, the Poquonnock Bridge Fire District, has evolved into a multi-discipline emergency service organization. The entity of the Fire District, the Poquonnock Bridge Fire Department, in addition to suppression services, also provides fire prevention, emergency medical services, basic rescue techniques, and hazardous materials containment, mitigation planning, and decontamination.